Book Review | A Different Kind of Hero


A Different Kind of Hero written by Leah Beth Evans and illustrated by Colleen Gedrich.

Synopsis:  "The rainforest is under attack.
One monkey is determined to save it.
His name is Tomagochi.

He’s brown.
He’s small.
He’s plain.

But when a group of men enters the rainforest armed with bulldozers and axes, Tomagochi the monkey springs into action to defend his natural habitat.

While larger animals like Peshe the tiger run and hide, Tomagochi charges into battle.

Will he be victorious?
Will the rainforest be saved?

Join Tomagochi as he fights to protect his home and discovers just how special he truly is."
 



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I was born the middle child of three; older sister, younger brother.  My sister and I are polar opposites in temperament, personality, and the like.  She's reserved and quiet to my sometimes brash and larger than life persona.  So for some reason once I hit my teenage years I fell into the role of protector, her hero if you will. She didn't honestly need my protection, but at times I mistakenly saw her mildness and lack of strength.

In later years, we purchased homes in the same town on the same street.  The proximity still allowed me to feel like I was helping to watch over her.

Through a unique mix of unfortunate circumstances, my sister and I were involved in an automobile accident in March of 2000.  When the tumble of metal settled, the SUV was resting on the passenger side where I lay unconscious.  My sister was badly shaken, but thankfully completely unharmed.  

In the few conversations we have been able to have about the accident over the last 10 years, my sister says that she was momentarily paralyzed by fear.  As has been the case in times past, she was looking to me to decide what should be done next and I wasn't able to tell her.  The decision on how to proceed would have to be made by her.  Somewhere she found the strength to climb up and jump out of the car onto the highway to get help.

For many weeks, my sister slept on the floor next to my marital bed.  She was the second person I saw when my eyes opened every morning.  

When the surgeries, therapy and hospital stays were mostly done, I remember lying in bed thinking back to that day and the ones that followed.  All along things were just the opposite of what I believed.  My sister had and still is watching over me; protecting me.  

Being a hero in my life.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Leah Beth Evans's Bio: 
Leah Beth Evans was inspired to write her story as a 4th grade student after studying about the rainforest. She continues to enjoy writing stories and poetry. However, her story A Different Kind of Hero has always been one of her favorites.  Visit Leah on Facebook

Visit Leah Beth Evans through one of her social media links:

Colleen Gedrich's Bio: 
Colleen, a lifelong resident Throop, PA, earned a BFA in illustration from Marywood University in 2002. Since that time, she has worked part-time as a freelance illustrator specializing in animal-themed work. She enjoys creating her art using mostly watercolor and pastel. 

As a dedicated animal rights activist and full-time program coordinator for International Society for Animal Rights (ISAR), Colleen lives her dream of joining her passions for animals and art to promote a more harmonious world with a touch of beauty. Recent works produced by Colleen include t-shirt and invitation designs, children’s book illustrations, and book covers. Colleen has also teamed up with her very talented artist mother, Kathy Holmes Gedrich, and paints murals for children’s nurseries.

Visit Tribute Book through one of their social media links:


Photobucket
* This post may include referral links and by clicking on those links I may receive a small amount of money and/or points that can be redeemed for gift cards or other rewards. 

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Comments

  1. Mardesia, what a powerful personal story to share in terms of what it means to be a hero in someone's life. I am so glad that you and your sister are okay after the car accident, and that you are able to continue to watch over each other.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment